from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Bananas Foster is a dessert that originated in New Orleans, Louisiana (US). It's fairly easy to make and very impressive to watch, not to mention delicious. The burst of dancing flames will dazzle the audience, caramelize the bananas and tantalize your guests, while pleasing the eyes and "astonishing" the taste buds all in one shot!
- Two bananas
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/8 of a cup of spiced rum: one shot
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract/essence
- Vanilla ice cream
- Peel and cut bananas lengthwise and in half, then set aside.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow it to thaw.
- Set burner to medium to high heat
- Place the butter into the saucepan, stirring continuously to prevent burning.
- Add 1 cup of brown sugar to the melted butter and stir constantly, this should be allowed to cook and caramelize for about 3-5 minutes. Once the brown sugar and butter mixture is the consistency of warm maple syrup, turn the burners to low.
- Add the banana slices. Allow these to soften. The bananas should be completely coated by the sugary mixture.
- Add the vanilla. Once the bananas have reached a more rich color of yellow add the vanilla extract. The vanilla will seem somewhat overpowering until thoroughly stirred in, and allowed to cook. When the smell of vanilla has reduced in strength, add the spiced rum to the mixture.
- Let the mixture burn itself out.
- When the fire has extinguished itself, pour the Bananas Foster (while still warm) over (or next to) vanilla ice cream.
- Have a pan lid to smother unusually wild-FLAMES! (See the image of "leaping" flames!)
- Keep a fire-extinguisher / container of water handy just in case!
- If using gas, you can flambee by tilting the pan up till the rum drips of the back edge of the pan and catches in the flame. Stand back when doing this and have the rum drip off the far end of the pan.
- Be sure that no one is standing close when you ignite the mixture.
- Be sure that you are not leaning over the pan when you ignite the mixture as well.
- Be sure to turn off the cooker hood or take the pan from the stove when you are going to set the rum on fire!
- It's not just the flames that can thrill you: it's you or your house afire that can "chill" you! Thrills should not extend to paramedics!
Things You'll Need
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup / spoon
- Orange peeler (careful use of a knife will suffice)
- Mixing bowl
- Fire-extinguisher / container of water
- How to Make a Chocolate Banana Shake
- How to Make Banana Pops
- How to Slice a Banana Before It Is Peeled
- How to Make Bananas Ripen Faster
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world's largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make Bananas Foster. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.